Typography Websites:
I Love Typography: My favorite part was the portion of found type. I did a little reading on the history of humanist type. I have never really thought of the historical and cultural influences of type. It shows how much I take it for granted. I was surprised to read in the Beautiful Web Design book that there was such an outcry against sans serif.
I Love Typography: 15 Examples of Excellent Web Typograhy:
I like the type and the whole look of the website of Jesus Rogriguez Velasco. There are a lot of elements mashed together in the graphics, but also a lot of white space so that you’re not overwhelmed. It makes you stop and take time to look at each graphical element. Oh, yeah – I like the font, too, the larger sloppy looking one that he must have put in as an image. I like the oddly shaped search box, too. Picture at the top: There’s an old floppy disk, a giant computer, and a monk tumbling down.
There’s Bearskinrug again. I remember that from our text.
Typographica: Typography Journal and News
Cyrus Highsmith, a designer and faculty member a the Rhode Island School of Design, points out in his interview that 1,800 new typefaces a year are introduced to the public and wonders what that effect will have on the people who see them. Will they become more sensitive to type design, or less? I have the feeling I always have: overwhelmed. I guess I like to look at all of the different designs, but when it comes to choosing one, what do I do? With so many choices, you really have to know what is appropriate for what you’re doing. I can just picture a designer looking at what I did and saying, “That’s awful.”
Oh, no! Now I’m reading about the importance of good handwriting! I’m so self-conscious about my handwriting, especially when I have to write something in large letters on a sign for the library. My writing has no energy or style. Weird.
I totally understand what Highsmith is saying about how writing on paper makes ideas flow better and different parts of his brain light up. I often feel like I’m wasting time by taking notes the old-fashioned way, but I feel more connected to what I’m trying to absorb. Maybe if I had been born 20 years later, that wouldn’t be the case.
Wow. I really like the different FF BeoSans OT by Rossum and Blokland that has a “shaken, distraught” appearance. It costs $54.
No comments:
Post a Comment