Sunday, October 5, 2008

Style Sheets: AGAIN

I will do my utmost to maintain external style sheets because there is a pretty strong warning in the book. Given my propensity to get tangled up with this new stuff, that's probably what I should do.
To review:
A selector id's what you want to format.
A property id's the type of format
The value sets the property.
It looks like this: selector { property: value}
You must include a link in the HEAD. There are three partas (see p. 143), the first and last of which never change.
Cascading: This term refers to the sequence of rules that are followed. They follow this order in terms of power: Inline, Internal, External, Browser.
Inheritance: Tags in HTML contain other tags. You can apply a rule to a tag that contains others. On the other hand, when they overlap, the rule closest to the tag wins.
Things to remember about color: There is COLOR and BACKGROUND COLOR.
In order to get around the plain old 16 color names, use the RGB values.

Colors on the Web:

Spinning the Color Wheel is like playing Roulette. My wrist hurts. What's interesting is that as I do this, and I happen on a color I happen to find pleasing, I then look at it again, think of how the teens would react to it, and have a crisis of confidence. Because colors go in and out of style just like clothing fashions, I worry that I'm picking a color that is "out." I'm sick of imagining being uncool.

Hmm. . . I just looked at other people's choices for colors, though, and I didn't really like theirs either.

No comments: