Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Lesson 9: Advanced Topics

Scripts are short pieces of code that add certain functions to your site. You can actually cut and paste a piece out and put it into your own.

In order to put an MP3 (compressed music file) on your site, you need to make a .M3U file in notepad.

Websites: FlashVista is a flash directory with flash resources and tutorials. I've been looking at some examples and the one that I like best is Thibaud's portfolio. He has all these little cards like color swatches, and when you hit on one, they all fan out. Then you can zoom in for a closer look. It's subtle. That's the only kind of flash I like. I am now on MONO*craft and fascination is competing with annoyance. I like the backgrounds, but the way everything starts flying by the screen when you put the mouse on it is driving me crazy. I feel like I'm playing a video game.

Flash Tutorials: The one that I wouldn't mind learning to do when I get beyond the basics is how to make the camera focus change effect in flash. Looking through the tutorials makes me think I have to get back to the basics first.

Site Pal Avatar: No thank you. I don't know why, but I find these fake cartoon people really annoying. Interesting to see how it's done, though.

HotSripts.com: a directory that compiles Web-programming information and resources. There are lots of scripts you can click on. This is all new to me. If you click on JavaScript, for example, you will see a clickable list of books, references, scripts and programs, software, tips and tutorials, and websites. Again, something to revisit when I get beyond truly understanding our text. Right now I'm combing through Chapter 7 again.

Basic Info about MP3's: MP3 is a technique for compressing audio files. The systems for doing this are called codecs. Earlier codecs were for real-time playing; MP3's were for downloading. Apple's iTunes offers AAC. ACC proved better than MP3 in testing.

How to create M3U files and streaming audio: I did not know this: When you are listening to streaming audio, you're listening to something as it's downloading. Streaming allows visitors to listen quickly. When not streamed, it takes longer and the person ends up with a copy of the audio item on their computer. To set up streaming audio, set up a text file that contains the link pointing to the MP3 you want to stream. Then save the file with an m3u extension.

Audacity: Free, open-source software for creating and editing sounds. You can use it to record live audio, convert tapes and records into digital recordings, edit various sound files, cut, copy and splice . . . There's a book that explains it, too! (I wish there was a book for GIMP. Reading the manual and flipping back and forth between screens is not cutting it for me.)

Musicovery Internet Radio: I'm trying to figure out how to select things. I see the "mood" box, and I'm cruising around there, but I wonder if there's a way to do a search for a particular artist. It doesn't look like there is. Also, I keep getting the message that my selection is too tiny. I don't know what that means or how to get out of it. I am kind of having fun seeing what I come up with by chance.

No comments: