In class, we are now on Chapters 15 and 16. In terms of what I'm now understanding and learning, I'm back on Chapter 7. It is so very discouraging. I have had the last few days off from work, and I've spent hours just trying to find tutorials to the most basic parts of GIMP. Paths, Dialogs. . . I don't get it yet. But, I have to start somewhere, so I will forge ahead.
I am not by any means ready to put into practice the techniques in Chapters 15 and 16. In the case of Chapter 16, I don't care as much because I personally hate things that move and jump around on websites. Cannot stand them.
Chapter 15 address issues that I will eventually incorporate, providing I catch up. It is about fancy buttons and menus. A few basics:
Dynamic buttons, also called rollover buttons, change subtly when a mouse hovers over them. Some dynamic buttons have three pictures: one for the initial state, one for the hover state, and one after the button's been clicked.
It is important that buttons are lined up, the same size, and consistent throughout. To accomplish this, go to www.buttongerator.com
Reminder: anti-aliasing is a feature that smooths the edges of a font by blending them with background.
Be careful when naming buttons so that you don't get tangled. Use a descriptive name, followed by an underscore, followed by the button state (normal or mouseover).
To keep things simple, make a picture list. Use a JavaScript element called an array. Create two arrays, one for the normal images, one for selected buttons
MacDonald also suggests preloading images so that buttons are as responsive as possible.
There is a section describing the alternative way of setting all this up in Dreamweaver or Front Page. I don't know yet if KompoZer has anything Komperable.
For now, in order to save myself, I MUST go back to chapter 7.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment