Friday, October 10, 2008

Chapter 5: Beaird

Imagery:

Things to remember: Is it relevant? Is it interesting? Is it appealing? I have to be careful that I answer these questions correctly with my imagery. If I take a picture of a bunch of teens hanging around Teen Lounge or playing games, how will I make that look intriguing? The backdrop of the library meeting room isn't that exciting. Hmm . . . I really want to use images of the actual library and people because using flashy, even slightly stylish images, would look like I was trying too hard. That is just NOT our library. Anything that looks commercial would look fake.

Maybe not for this project, but for future reference: get free stock photography from Stock.XCHG
I doubt I will ever be purchasing images in any form, royalty free or not.

Google Ganking: getting an image off a search and then manipulating them to fit your needs. Don't do it. Assume images are copyrighted. If an image is marked as free, let the creator know how you are going to use it.

Hotlinking is another no-no. That's when a site links to files on the designers' own servers.

Creative cropping. I don't often compliment myself in this course, but I have to say I do have an eye for composition. That is probably the ONLY time I will feel confident in this course. Maybe not, though. I could have a breakthrough.

I have GOT to look at my video tutorial on Photoshop. This is something that my husband has played with, but I haven't.

No comments: