I am working through the KompoZer tutorial that I got off the web. I am going point by point with a fine tooth comb so that I don't end up in a confused mess like I did before. The tutorial is simplistic, made for the real "dummy" beginner. But that's what I am, so that's fine. I am going to tunnel through that while I continue to read the text.
Oh. The text. I think this text is wonderfully written. It is very understandable, with reminders of where to go to review. I think the book is perfect. However, I haven't been able to keep up. In order to really understand, I find that I am only able to do a chapter a week. Each week I fall a chapter behind and plow ahead, turning back when necessary.
While the KompoZer tutorial is for people who just want the site up, the text explains the mechanics and the best way to set things up on the code side. Probably many of the things I am doing blindly with the tutorial would be strongly advised against in the book. For example, the book teaches that external style sheets are the way to go, keeping your style rules separate and therefore easier to tinker with later if you want. In the tutorial everything is mashed together.
I think I will go through the tutorial, see what I come up with, and then start over building from the other side. Though I am not where I should be in the class, I am learning a lot. It's just very uncomfortable to be behind. I just have to keep putting in the hours, accept where I am, and be thankful that I am learning this. On to chapter 8 . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment