Could it really be week 4? I fall further and further behind every week. I am just going to try to get the most out of this class as I can (at my level). What else can I do?
Web Style Guide, 2nd Ed. - http://webstyleguide.com/index.html
I very clean, organized way of approaching web site construction. It addresses the functions of a whole team in building a site for a client. Things that I can take away:
Know your goals and mission - How will the site help that mission? ID two or three most important goals
Have a blueprint
Build an inventory for your content
What will your audience feel upon leaving your site?
How will you maintain it?
I am now on the site development process, but I have to go to work. More later. . .
I have decided that rather than make lists and copy everything I read, I am going to record here the things that stick out to me most. Here goes:
Construction of pages is one of the LAST parts of making a page.
Consider network bandwidth of your visitors. (I work in a poor, rural area.)
Statistics on user traffic?
Site editor must know the rules of protected material.
* up to information architecture
Universal Usability: http://universalusability.com/access_by_design/index.html
I am all over this bandwagon: making websites not only accessible for all, but usable by all (including those with cognitive and other challenges). One thing to do is to strike a balance between engaging and overwhelming the user. An example using a Netflix site points out the importance of simplicity. Of interest was the point that the site focused on services and content rather than branding and design. At this stage, I can't help but keep it simple, but this is still a good advice to keep in mind.
Use HTML. If you want more interactive stuff, make sure you use all accessibility features.
Make functions keyboard accessible. Actionable elements must follow a logical sequence in the code.
Adapt to the users environment, e.g. use pages that adapt to fill a user's window.
Use fallbacks
Use high contrast colors that will still be readable in variable conditions.
Use layouts that adapt to different window widths. (I don't know what this means yet).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment