I've been trying to think of an appropriate analogy for my difficulties and this learning experience. I have used rat in a maze, but I'm starting to feel like Silly String, or something that keeps going back and forth, this way and that, does not know the beginning and is just running back and forth blind until everything is a big cluster f*** (pardon my French). If I were a baby learning to walk, I would have crawled just fine, gotten up on my feet, been wobbly (as is espected). . . But then I would have wandered out into the road and been run over and completely mangled. Forget learning to walk; my legs are mangled and in pieces.
What does that translate to? I have to scrap everything, and I mean everything, and start all over. I can't get my page up, when I can, I just get a white screen that says Idex of/ on the top, I can't get pictures to show up. The more I try to fix things, the more they go awry. I have spent countless hours, like a rat in a maze, and I have been on the verge of tears at least three times. I even fantasize about dropping this class.
Right now the server is down. I have an appointment to talk to Dr. S. today at twelve. I have wiped the slate clean and I am rebuilding. Here are some notes on my remedial progress:
1. Your public-html folder is your main directory folder. You must upload all of your files into this directory. (Duh.)
2. Index.html is the main file, not folder, file. That is the first file opened by your browser when you type in your web page address.
3. To stay organized: Create folders for different file types, e.g. folders for documents and images.
4. After creating website, connect to myweb.usf.edu using SSH.
5. Do not upload the folder containing your files. Instead, double click to view the files inside the folder. Do the same for the public_html folders on the right. Ignore any index.html in the public_html folder. It will be replaced with your new stuff.
6. Now visit your website.
I started over making the Shakespeare page that is part of the online tutorial for Kompozer. I did the simple exercise, but when I went to look at the web page, it wasn't there. Neither was my SSH allowing me to connect. I called Academic computing, and they said the server is down. Hence I am here venting and reveiwing.
3.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment